This classic vegan apple pie recipe is the perfect holiday vegan dessert, with sweet apple filling in each bite.
6 large apples
1/2 tsp each: cinnamon and nutmeg (or omit nutmeg and increase cinnamon to 1 tsp)
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup white, spelt, or oat flour
2/3 cup sugar, unrefined if desired
optional 2 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil, for richness
1 double pie crust (see above for options)
- Line a 9-inch pan with one of the pie crusts, and set aside. Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Peel and slice the apples
- Toss in a large bowl with all remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to the crust – the filling should tower over the top.
- Place second crust on top, and crimp the edges of the two crusts together with your fingers or a fork.
- Cut a few slits into the crust to allow steam to escape. To prevent burnt edges, I like to cover just the outer rim of the pan with a ring of aluminum foil, leaving the middle of the pie exposed.
- Bake on the oven center rack for 40 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned and apple filling is hot and bubbly. Let cool.
- The pie can sit out overnight (loosely covered), or leftovers can be covered and refrigerated for up to 5 days.